Owens: Life

The journey through Daniel and Brittny's lives.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, TX

We were married on December 17th, 2005 and have enjoyed every minute of it :) We had our first child, Isabella July 15, 2010. We couldn't be happier!! We love life to it's fullest and love God with all our hearts! We are pretty much the coolest people you will ever meet :) We get along with pretty much anyone. Daniel is a born and raised Washington Redskins fan, and Brittny is a born and raised Dallas Cowboys fan (Crazy I know) We are pretty much opposites on everything except for our love of each other and our daughter, I think thats what makes our relationship work so well.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Δικιασυνη του θεου (The righteousness of god)

Recently, I had someone very close to me voice their desire that I stop blogging and if I wouldn’t stop then at least start ‘expositizing’ the Scriptures. Well, out of a desire to show myself to be a loyal follower of Jesus I have decided to sporadically ‘expositize’ the Bible. In doing this I hope to show that my views are much closer to being ‘Biblical’ than some may think and to show that I am trying to be faithful to god’s word (which, in my opinion, is the Bible). So, for those who care little about the Bible I am sorry to hear that, but this is who I am and if you give some of this a chance I trust that it will not be a waste of your time.

My plan is to take Romans 3.21-26 phrase by phrase or theme by theme (by the means of going blog by blog) and explain how I have come to some of my conclusions (which by the way I retain the right to change after further reflection and dialogue).

THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD HAS BEEN REVEALED!

The whole letter of Romans is dominated by the claim of the Apostle Paul that his gospel announcement is the one that reveals that the god of all is one who keeps his promises even when humanity does not keep theirs. Many people claim that the gospel is about god sending Jesus to die for the sins of the world because god is just and someone has to appease his wrath. I could not disagree more!

The reason Jesus died on the cross is to reveal god’s righteousness. We cannot know who this god is unless we understand him as being the one who submitted himself to the power that bound humanity for its whole history, the enemy of death. The righteousness of god defines everything for Paul and so for me. My opinions on the issues of war, abortion, politics or any other aspect of life must be formed in the same mold of the god whom I worship the mold of the cross. I do not believe that god the Father was the wrathful god and Jesus was the loving god because then we would have two gods not one. We only know who the god of the Bible is by focusing on Jesus.

Through the actions of god in Jesus, humanity (and the world) have been made right (or alive) before the creator god. I do not think that the world (whether other religions, scientists or alien’s [like Martian not South of the Border]) has the cure for death, the solution to peace, the fix for poverty and the end of tsunamis and tornadoes. Only the god whose righteousness is revealed in the cross has the integrity to defeat such onerous enemies. The good news that I contend for is centered in the god who is revealed in the cross ― not on America’s election day. The solution to evil is not found in a Republican or a Democrat, in a country or an alliance of nations. Instead it is found in the god whose sign is not a sword, a creation story or ten commandments but rather the instrument of his own death. ‘Right’ to Jesus is redemptive not retributive and I desire to be like him in every way.

Daniel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home