Owens: Life

The journey through Daniel and Brittny's lives.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, TX

We were married on December 17th, 2005 and have enjoyed every minute of it :) We had our first child, Isabella July 15, 2010. We couldn't be happier!! We love life to it's fullest and love God with all our hearts! We are pretty much the coolest people you will ever meet :) We get along with pretty much anyone. Daniel is a born and raised Washington Redskins fan, and Brittny is a born and raised Dallas Cowboys fan (Crazy I know) We are pretty much opposites on everything except for our love of each other and our daughter, I think thats what makes our relationship work so well.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Marriage is what brings us together today...

I just finished preparing my notes for my sermon tomorrow. Matthew chapter 11 is one of my favorite passages in the Synoptic Gospels. (I think I say that about every passage ― just wait until chapter 15!)

I read in the USA Today that Melissa Ethridge is claiming that she should not have to pay taxes because she is not being treated as a first-class citizen. I wonder if she has a valid point? Now, before I say anything else I want to clarify that my understanding of same sex relationships is that they are outside of God’s design for humanity. I don’t believe (as some do) that it is valid to be a practicing homosexual and be a Christian. Although, I do believe that we should be gracious and treat each situation with love since I do believe that someone can be born a homosexual (I know I know I shouldn’t say that but it makes sense to me). Plus, I also was born with certain inclinations that are outside of God’s order (you know like being an ass sometimes).

I really do feel Ms. (or should I say Mrs.) Ethridge’s complaint. While I’m not sure that I think we should change the definition of marriage (I don’t believe there is any record of any civilization allowing same sex marriage ― even amongst the Greeks). I wonder if we could compromise somehow? I really have a problem with homosexuals being denied the same civil rights that I have access to. The country is already so divided shouldn’t we attempt meet in the middle? Maybe create an institution that is not called marriage but has some of the same legal benefits? I do think that the Christian community has sinned in the eyes of God (of course this is my opinion) by dealing way to harshly with homosexuals. In the church that I pastor we are filled with drug addicts. Some struggling, some lying about struggling and some who are just confused but we don’t fight to have their civil rights restricted. Maybe its different. I am not sure. Also, wouldn’t homosexuals take the Christian community’s idea of marriage more seriously if WE WERE COMMITTED TO THE IDEA OURSELVES! (By that I mean we want it to remain male + female but we don’t remain in it until death do us part.)

All I know is that I desire to take seriously my task to reveal God to the world and I think we all need to be willing to reexamine our positions just in case we were wrong or become more willing to compromise to promote unity. A popular explanation for Obama winning the election is that young people wanted to vote for someone they identified with (you know he’s the hip Pres). I think that Christians are not any different. We have popular radio DJ’s and writers who tell us what we should think. Well, I think that God gave us all brains and that to live in unity does not mean that we all have to agree about everything. What matters is how you view someone who disagrees with you.

This opinion is subject to change since I often disagree with myself!

Daniel

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel, It is a joy to read your thoughts. In the years since we've known you, you have moved from not thinking at all to seriously thinking.

Perhaps because of age, perhaps because I've grown weary of any arguments I seldom pursue the serious conversations that you are tackling...although I really enjoy a good debate. Thinking out loud as you are doing is good for us all...but brace yourself as being vocal can create a whirlwind from those who misunderstand you, your position or your statements. Many assume that when the title "Pastor" is attached to our name we are to leave our opinions
and only speak in a way that will leave all comfortably in agreement (or others convicted!).
Thank God that by the blood of Jesus, He removed our sin from us but leaves us with our opinions. As we "let this same mind be in you that is also in Christ Jesus" our thinking, opinions, feelings become His. Ahh, and that is the place to live! Where I don't agree with you or you with me we will continue to pray for one another that we will all find His mind.

November 9, 2008 at 10:17 PM  
Blogger Daniel and Brittny Owens said...

Sister Mary,

Thanks for your comment. I think the thing I have begun to like about this blogging 'thing' is that it allows me to actually say things like 'I don't know' or 'I'm just not sure'. I probably should consistently make that clear so people don't think that I am claiming to have it 'figured out'.


Thank You,

Daniel

November 10, 2008 at 6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel, I know that you don't know me personally but I know Ms. Brittny... I have begun reading your blog and while there are times I don't agree with what you are saying I do appreciate your thought provoking arguments. I love debate. I love higher level thinking and I like things that challenge me spiritually.

I am the Youth Minister at my church and I have actually had a youth girl leave becuase I wouldn't tell her that you could practice homosexuality and be a Christian. But I still stand by that because while some people will say God forgives all Sins,I believe there is a huge difference between sinning and lifestyle sin. Not to say that homosexuality is the only lifestyle sin... It's not even close. I do think that you can be attracted to the same sex and be a Christian. I just think it's the practice that makes it wrong. I have actually known someone who was practicing and became a Christian and felt as a Christian he needed to stop practicing it but it didn't change what he was attracted to. I think the Bible is very stern in the fact that there can't even be a hint of sexual immorality and by definition in Lev. Homosexuality is sexual immoral.

I have never really found anyone else willing to openly and boldly take this position while also saying that we do need to treat this with love and compassion. Becuase some people can be born with those tendencies (which I also believe). It's interesting to me how Christians want to shun all homosexuals or accept all of them and not challenge them to a better place.

I state this not really as an opinion, although I could be wrong, but I have done alot of studying according to the Word on this subject becuase I had several youth kids at the time asking me about it.

I think hate the sin love the sinner really applies in this situation. I appreciate your view! It's good to know I'm not the only one that feels this way!

November 17, 2008 at 12:02 AM  
Blogger Daniel and Brittny Owens said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 17, 2008 at 10:05 PM  
Blogger Daniel and Brittny Owens said...

Your comments are appreciated Brandie. I am glad to know that your church has such a qualified, thinking Christian ministering in their youth group. Standing for the truth from a heart of love is a difficult thing to do. Keep it up and please pray that I can do it also.

Daniel

November 17, 2008 at 10:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much! I just do what I feel the Lord is calling me to do and stay true to what I feel like is the Truth. I think because the Bible is such a spiritual book you have to take what is written to a Spiritual level and beyond face value.

I will be praying for you as well!

November 17, 2008 at 11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home